As the name suggests, grapeseed oil is pressed from the seeds of grape. Usually, grape seed oil is made out of the seeds that are left from a wine-making process. Even though seeds are often discarded, they are considered to be the part of the grape that has most health and beauty benefits. In the beauty world, this oil is well known and valued for having a very light consistency and sinking into the skin quickly.
Grapeseed oil contains the following:
Linoleic acid- 68%
Oleic acid - 20%
Palmitic acid - 8%
Stearic acid- 4%
Properties of grapeseed oil:
- light moisturizer. Just like most oils, it moisturizes the skin. Grapeseed oil is very thin and absorbs quickly, therefore is a perfect option for someone looking for a light non-greasy moisturizer.
- Erases dark under-eye circles. Vitamin E and moisturizing fatty acids found in this oil help to reduce dark circles and moisturize under-eye area.
- Balances oil production. Linoleic acid in grapeseed oil helps to clear out clogged pores and balance out oil production.
- Lightens Skin, reduces appearance of age spots and pigmentation. This is due to a high amount of vitamin C and E.
- Reduces spider veins. Grapeseed oil applied regularly can strengthen blood vessels and capillaries. This, in turn, prevents the appearance of spider veins and makes broken capillaries less visible.
- Heat protector for the hair.
- Hair conditioning properties. This oil is often used in hair products. It makes hair soft and smooth. It is lighter than coconut oil so does not leave hair greasy.
- Promotes nail growth.
- Skin-tightening properties. Due to oils astringent properties it helps to tone and tighten the skin.
- Helps to heal scars.
Color: Light yellow - pale green
Smell: Light sweet aroma, similar to that of aged grapes
Viscosity: light to medium, thin, non-greasy
Absorption: absorbs easily and quickly, leaves a light glossy film over the skin
Shelf life: 3-12 months depending on the storage. If heavily refined could be up to 2 years.
Comedogenic rating: 1, which means this oil is not likely to clog pores.